Spectacles case with zipper
Materials and tools:
- embroidery for the front of the spectacles case (you can just take beautiful fabric),
- fabric for the back of the case and lining (these fabrics can be different),
- thin flizelin (if you have dense fabric, this position is unnecessary),
- collar dublerin,
- zipper (length = the longest side + two short sides of the case, possible. Shortening a zipper is no problem),
- threads (except red, I also used white),
- needles, pins,
Not in the photo are:
- sewing machine,
- a piece of tracing paper or tissue paper,
- tweezers (optional).
Stages of work:
1. Cut out two rectangles from fabric: 10х19 and 12х19 cm. Glue smaller rectangle (with an iron) to the back side of the front part of the case (to embroidery in my case), glue bigger one inside.
2. From the collar dublerin cut out two rectangles 17×8 cm. One rectangle is glued to the front, exactly on top of the embroidery (to the inside, of course). The other to the back of the case, leaving the top, bottom and one side with 1 cm allowances on flizelin.
3. Cut off extra canvas (leave 0,5-0,8 cm outsizes). Sew the front and the back together. On the front, the seam goes along dublerin, on the back it goes along flizelin, where you have wide outsize. Distance between the padded parts is about 2 cm.
Iron the allowance on the back. Stitch near the edge, leaving foot-wide distance.
4. Now let's make the case volume. For that, stitch the angles (for clarity, I drew them with a pencil).
Pin on marked lines.
Sew. Fix at the beginning and end of the line!
5. Cut the allowances to 0.5 cm wide, iron.
6. Cut the middle part of the case (with dublerin) before the dublerin. Do not damage the seam, connecting the parts of the case! Iron this piece inside.
I ron half width of the allowances around the perimeter of the case as well. If it is difficult to iron, pin and sew.
7. Sew the zipper. First pin (or tack) one half, opening the zipper. I right along the pins, but this trick works only if you use the thinnest pins and low speed. Otherwise, it's easy to break the needle. If it is difficult to stitch the corners, you can finish the seam at this point and start it again by turning the workpiece.
Here's half of the zipper sewn on. Be sure to check if it closes. If the seam is too close to the teeth, the zipper may not close, so later it will be difficult to fix.
One more thing: small pieces near the middle are without seam allowances. Sew them with "zigzag". I started the seam with this, then without breaking the thread, changed the seam to a straight line. I finished the seam with "zigzag". In the photo it is hard to see, as white thread is on white background.
For the case to be straight, it is important to match the beginning, the end of the zipper and the corners on its halves. Close the zipper and pin it to not sewn half there.
After that, you can open the zipper and pin (or sew) the zipper around the perimeter. It is convenient when it is longer than necessary. Stitch the second half of the zipper. Check if it closes well.
The corners matched relatively well.
8. Sew the zipper, using wide "zigzag" on the machine or by hand. From the end of the sides of the case to the place where the zipper is sewn, leave 1 – 1.2 cm distance for the seam to be invisible on the finished case. Cut off extra zipper.
Remove the ends of the zipper inside and sew with hidden seam the case edge to the zipper.
9. Outside the case looks quite ready, but inside it is not ready yet.
We'll cover this with soft lining — "mattress" for glasses.
Measure the distance from the seam to the seam, from left to right and from top to bottom. I got 18.5 to 18 cm because the "mattress" will be quilted, add 0.5 cm on each side (when you close the case, the dimensions of the workpiece are slightly decreased).
Take a piece of tracing paper 19х18.5 cm and draw the pattern on which we will whip it. If you can do it yourself, you can do without tracing paper. Then you'll need another piece of cloth for the back.
For "mattress" you need tracing paper with a pattern, a piece of padding polyester of the same size and a piece of fabric with at least 1 cm allowances around the perimeter.
Assemble a sandwich: fabric with face down, sintepon, tracing paper with pattern. Pin in many places.
Stitch along the pattern lines. Do not forget that the front (visible) side is the one that is down, set the thread tension in a sewing machine correctly. All the tack weld are on the allowances.
This is the front side of the mattress.
Now is the funniest part of work. Tear off already unnecessary tracing paper. To remove small pieces of paper stuck in the seam, you will need tweezers for plucking eyebrows. If somebody doesn't know the best tweezers for small works is a ruling pen (it is in the photo).
10. The end is coming. Bend the seams, pin the lining inside the case and sew with a hidden seam. Try to close zipper seam with the lining. In this case, make sure that the thread does not go to the front of the case. Periodically check whether the zipper closes or not. If it gets stuck, it is necessary to cut part of the seam and sew the lining a little further from the teeth of the zipper.
So, home for glasses is ready. It turned out to be spacious, bigger glasses will also fit in.
Well, not to forget about music, to which this tutorial is dedicated: