Does anyone remember these dresses? Don't know where and how, but they were known under the brand name Madame D in the place where I live.
For me, this dress was presented me by mum on my twentieth anniversary. I was incredibely happy... So it never came to my mind to cut it, until today. Looking at the embroidered golden net from a different angle, I saw an art object, not the dress.
- seam ripper
- needle and thread to match
And get down to the dessert.
So, I released the net and flounce from years of captivity. I found a button (accidents, as we know, does not happen just so) of the right size, and, most importantly, — colour!
The cut corner of the net was miraculously sufficient to upholster the button, and the remaining part could be even used for a necklace!
By all laws of the genre, gather the edge with a running stitch.
Wrap the button (I wonder how old it is and where it comes from), tighten the thread, trying not to tear it. Fix grabbing the opposite edges.
The foot is sticking out, so hide it in scraps of batting, and apply a top piece of fabric, bigger than the diameter of the buttons.
Tuck the welt sewn to the net over the edge. Hide the thread on the net inside. The welt does not reach 2-3 mm the edge of the button.
For trimming, I choose a smaller flounce, cut it across and lay in folds.
As the main decoration of the brooch is a golden embroidery, I make bulky folds to balance it all.
Sew it to the base (the needle is pinned in order to hold the folds). The seam is inside, it is not visible, the way it should be :)
All this time the inner voice whispered: "So what? A golden thread and nothing else?" I agreed with this inner self and took out my "gold reserves". Admiring for a few minutes... and took pics this and that way.
Again making sure that there is no coincidence in the world, I chose appropriate gray sewn (!) rhinestones of different shapes.
Before sewing the rhinestones, I glued dublerin to the protruding part on the backside (with hot iron through a damp gauze).
And the folds are sewn to the base; ram them.
Firmly, I sew the rhinestones to the base with a reinforced filament, alternating them to make a beautiful pattern! By the way, the rhinestones were also repurposed — they use to decorate a strange T-shirt, bought on sale.
I treat the backside with a welt of a suitable material — I used a piece of an old felt.
Phew! That's all! Thus, in one breath, favorite masterpiece decorations are born that can be proudly worn for several years and be inherited :)
Thanks to everyone who has read up to the end. I thank all who voted for my DIYs on the contest Magical Transformation.
I wish all participants good luck and now I'm going to repurpose some more vintage things.
When sharing the tutorial, remember the link to the source — it is highly recommended :)